Sunday, 16 August 2009

the orientation week?


Orientation at Newcastle was very classy! St George's had organized a warm welcome including faculties from both the universities - Northumbria and St. Georges, they had arranged lectures to get students accustomed to the new environment, and had also made available Newcastle tour for the parents weekend including a great afternoon British tea. Pretty much most of it was useless...

My roommate and I decided to explore Newcastle ourselves. Why wont we? We have metro passes that can take us to any part of Newcastle for free! Following are my experiences:

People here at Newcastle are called Geordie's and they have a very strange accent. Their dialect at first is really hard to understand/ grasp but at the end you will know what they are trying to say due to their excessive hand movements and facial gestures (just like Chris Holmes). They like to call students, "lads or pets" and they say "cheers" for goodbye or after every sentence. Cheers is some much better than goodbye... you can never have a sad face or a monotone while saying cheers! Some of my favorite sentences are: "Ya been doon to toon?" (have you been to the town), "youz neva go doon that street?" (you never go down that street), "Met, waz the netti?" (Mate, where is the toilet?). In all, the people here are very friendly and enjoy beer and futbol!

Newcastle has a great infrastructure consisting of new and old architecture! There are different monuments within the city but at the same time has worlds only tilt bridge called Gatesehead Milennium Bridge. I will let you know more about this when I have more time... till then enjoy the pictures and Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. Good shtuff, mate. Update lots!

    This is Anna by the way. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are having too much fun already... hope you can study some too while you are there :P.

    Love,
    Didi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never plan ahead, but this time I did, and it's great. I'm thinking of doing it more often. You should do it too. ^_^ Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Abhi,

    Looks like you are enjoying your stay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were my best RA ever. Which means you beat out 2 other ppl for top spot. Congrats. This has nothing to do with your post btw. I envy your travels, sounds sick awesome! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete